Wednesday, July 06, 2011

Did You Think to Pray?



Last Sunday was Fast Sunday.  While in June I knew exactly what I needed and wanted to fast for, this month my mind and spirit was overrun with thoughts and feelings.

Sometimes in the midst of these overwhelming and cloudy emotions, it's hard to see the obvious answer.  But as always, Heavenly Father gave me the obvious answer.

I knelt down and prayed for guidance, because I knew that He knew what I needed most, and how exactly to receive that.

The first words out of my mouth were, "Help me know that I am thy daughter."

I was overcome with the emotion of the Spirit.  Happy tears filled my eyes and I was directed in my own prayer to my Father by my Father.

As I continued to pray and pour my soul out to Him, temptation was "nigh" and everything in the world seemed possible.  Not only possible, but down right easy.  Enduring to the end?  Please, I could do it standing on my head.  Parenting my children to return to their Father in Heaven: like eating a piece of pie.  Knowledge, patience, kindness, compassion...it all seemed so possible, so simple, so obvious.

Joseph Smith said something along the lines that pure intelligence is the fruit of the Spirit.  I know this is what I was feeling.  Pure intelligence.  Understanding of the plan of happiness.  Understanding and complete knowledge of my Father's love for me.

And I know I have felt this before.  Before, it was fleeting, and left me shortly after standing from prayer.  But this Sunday it stayed with me through church, after church, through Sunday dinner, all the way to bedtime where I offered a prayer of thanks for the most peaceful and wonderful Sabbath.

Of course when I woke, I had fallen from grace yet again.  But the Spirit still lingered.  My patience stretched with my children, my love grew.  I had a powerful memory of that feeling and it guides me to my knees.

I have a testimony of prayer.  It doesn't matter what religion  you are, get down on your knees and speak to  your Father.  He yearns to offer you peace even more than you desire to feel it.

2 comments:

Tara said...

You're so strong and amazing. I admire you greatly. I wish I could be as spiritual. It's a goal of mine that I hope to meet soon.

Cheyenne and Seth and Co. said...

Beautiful. I agree.

You May Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...