Thursday, August 25, 2011

Genius Savant, It's a Real Thing

Recently, I became "That Parent".  (My cousin Abbie, hilarious.)

Anyway, Cohen, my genius savant, tested for the gifted and talented program back in good ol' Utah.  Transferring here, I thought it would be no problem to get him into a similar program.

We're in our third week of school, and yet he's still in the same old "sound-out-your-words-what-letter-is-this-what-is-two-plus-two" class.  He's bored to tears, and I don't blame him.  We have to monitor homework time, not to help him, but to make sure he doesn't finish the whole packet in one night.

So I took a page out of my cousin Abbies book, and high tailed it to his school, letter in hand, to get him into the Accelerated Learning Program.

This is what I got.

"We don't really have that program for first graders.  But he'll be in an advanced reading group in a few weeks!"

Seriously?  Advanced reading group?  That's great and all...I mean, it's better than nothing, but what about everything else?  When are those needs going to be met?  My baby boy has needs.  Nerdy, know-it-all, smarty pants needs that I can't keep fulfilling at home.

HE'S DRIVING ME INSANE!!!

His teacher kindly scheduled and appointment for me with the ALP coordinator.

Dear Abbie,

Any advice?

Haha!

2 comments:

PrincessJulia said...

Kelly, I read your post and as a future teacher I have to say god for you. We need more parents who are aware and willing to do all they can to give their children the best education possible. I hope it all works out.

genderist said...

Can you set up separate projects that he can do at home?

You May Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...