Friday, April 29, 2011

Five Years From Today...

I have played the "five years from today..." game since, well probably since I was five.  Because I remember thinking how totally freaking awesome it was going to be to be ten.  And play on the big playground.  And four square.  Because I was stuck on the kindergarten play ground, and that just didn't fly with me.

I remember when I turned eleven and thought, five years from now, I'll totally be driving. 

And when I was 16 I thought, in five years from now, I'll be in college becoming a bilingual neurosurgeon who travels the world helping the less fortunate by giving them frontal lobe lobotomies and helping them forget all their problems, like not having cable. 


But when I was 21, I had just had a little baby.  I had been married for 3 years.  And then a few months later, I was expecting another baby.  I bought a house.  I bought a washer and dryer.  I was grown up, for realsy.

Today I am 26.  I'm moving to Arizona in a few months for my husbands job.  Did I mention my husband is 30.  He's the second counselor in the Bishopric.  I should feel a little more grown up, but I really don't.

I have to figure out how to register my oldest for the gifted and talented program he got into here, there.  I have to figure out how to register my daughter, who will be FIVE, for kindergarten, or she will never forgive me.  She's told me this several times.

And so I asked her, "Kembry, where do you think you'll be in five years?"

She contemplates. I  love it when Kembry contemplates.  She's four, but she tilts her head, puts her finger on her chin, rolls her eyes up, and actually thinks.  Or, at least she looks like she's thinking.

"I think I'll live with my husband, Mila, in Rainbow-la-roo, and he'll drive a red car just like daddy's and I'll be a mommy and you'll be a grandma."

So, it goes without saying, Kembry and I are quite different.  But I'm so at peace where I am.  I love my life.  I love my family, my husband, my calling, my religion, my responsibilities, my laundry (mmm...sure, ok).  I love it all, because it all goes towards a life in eternity with Brett and Cohen and Kembry and Chloe and apparently Mila.  Whoever the heck he is.

So, in five years from today...

No comments:

You May Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...