Tuesday, June 07, 2011

Presidential Confusion

I think trying to vote for a President is a lot like coming back from a relationship where you were cheated on.

You know, you hear the girls saying things like, "I just really have trust issues right now.  My ex boyfriend, I mean, he really loved me, he told me all the time.  But he was addicted to sex with his secretary.  So, I feel really vulnerable right now."

Meanwhile the dude she's on a date with has those little cartoon money signs in his eyes.




I think we've been a bit cheated on by President Bush, and a little bit by President Obama.  We're all struggling with trust issues right now.

So President Bush got us into a pile of doody the likes of which I don't know any sane person who would want to swim out of.  But apparently Obama did.  Good for him, I guess...

But it takes a long time to swim out of tall piles of doody.  I have three children, I know.  However, it's for these exact reasons I don't think presidential candidates should give promises like, Ï'm going to stop this war in Iraq!  I'm going to FIX OUR ECONOMY!  I'M GOING TO GET THIS COUNTRY OUT OF DEBT!  And a space shuttle for every family!"

I like President Obama.  I think he was left with quite the after-party mess to clean up.  I think it's going to take more than one term.  I think I would like to see him stay in office.  I'd like to give him a second chance.  I think he could really make me happy.  And perhaps he'll propose on a romantic walk on the beach...

NOW, what about this Mitt Romney fellow?  I'm a fellow Mormon, and so I feel some small obligation to be all "GO MITT!", but something about him reminds me of that rebound dude.  Remember, the one with money signs in his eyes?

I feel a little burned by broken promises from President Obama.  Even though I knew realistically some of his promises were far fetched, he really made me burn inside for change.  I haven't really felt much change.  I still think the war in Iraq is an incredibly frivolous thing for a country in so much debt to be participating in.  But I also feel like some headway has been made with our economy.  I see that he has a fervor for change.  I think it's dangerous to flip the coin because things aren't happening fast enough.  And on the other side of the coin we have Ol' Mitt.

I dunno...on paper, he's pretty great.  He has a knack for saving failing companies from bankruptcy.  He did well as a Governor, keeping the budget safe from falling into a deficit (this really excites me, because I think that's what we, as a nation, ought to focus on.)    He doesn't dye his gray hair.  He looks the part of a President, doesn't he? 

Plus, he doesn't down play his religion like some other disappointing people (Ehem, John Huntsman, I'm insulting you, here.).  I think this shows character.  It would be very easy for him to downplay his religion.  It's not like the majority of US voters are LDS.  Quite the contrary.

So, what to do what to do?  Many of you are probably wondering why I'm worrying about this now.  But for those of you who really know me, you know it takes a long time for me to make a decision.  Plus, I really should have been born a Libra.

Anyway, what are your thoughts?  Who are you leaning towards?


No comments:

You May Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...