Friday, September 25, 2009

Currently Receiving Transmission


I just finished "Contact" by Carl Sagan. 

Contact is an extremely interesting, and challenging book.  I know it's fiction.  Still, it's hard to read a theological argument between the main character, Ellie, a scientist and "agnostic" (as she says) and a televangelist. 

It's hard to hear because I know there are so many who are thinking and believing (or not believing) all those things Ellie is struggling with.  Modern day revelation.  Hypocracies among the religions.  She keeps asking, "Where has your God been?  Why would he prophecy to Prophets of old, but to none today?  Where has he gone?  Why has he gone?"  I want to shout to a fictional character, "He does.  He's here.  For good.  To stay.  Hallelujah!"  I could start my own television show.

But it's SO MUCH HARDER to read the televangelists views, and know that there are BILLIONS who are following these beliefs.  "God talks to me all the time.  God has told me that a revelation is at hand.  When the end of the world is nigh, the Rapture will be upon us, the judgment of sinners, the ascension to heaven of the elect..."

Well Reverend Rankin, revelation is not at hand.  IT IS HERE!  Hallelujah!  *Smack!*

Where was I?  Ah, yes, maintaining the Spirit through patience with fictional characters.

D&C 5:20
"Behold, I tell you these things, even as I aslo told the people of the destruction of Jerusalem; and my word shall be verified at this time as it hath hiterto been verified."

Dan. 2: 44

44 "And in the days of these kings shall the God of heaven set up a kingdom, which shall never be destroyed: and the kingdom shall not be left to other people, but it shall break in pieces and consume all these kingdoms, and it shall stand forever."

And my favorite, D&C 13

"Upon you my fellow sevants, in the name of Messiah I conver the Priesthood of Aaron, which holds the keys of the ministering of angels, and of the gospel of repentance, and of baptism by immersion for the remission of sins; and this shall never be taken again from the earth, until the sons of Levi do offer again an offering unto the Lord in righteousness."
 
For me it is the wonderful reminder of the blessing of modern-day Prophets.  But more importantly, the fact that there will always be a Prophet of God on earth, and that he will never be taken away.  That this is the last dispensation.  And that I get to be a part of that.  How sad would I be if I didn't have the Gospel?  Would I even know what I was missing?  Would I recognize the Spirit again, as I did almost 11 years ago testifying of the truthfullness of the Gospel?  How different would I be without the Gospel?  Without the Spirit?  Would I be like Ellie, unbelieving, skeptic?  Or worse, like Rankin, "Join Jesus or be DAMNED!" 

Yikes! 

Kelly Out

No comments:

You May Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...