Monday, May 16, 2011

Phases of the Flu

Phase One:

*Sniff Sniff*  Argh, stupid allergies.  Pop a Benadryl, call it good.

2 Hours Later...

*Sniff HACK Sniff*  Ugh, nasal drainage.  Imma gonna go soak in the hot shower, open up these sinuses.  That outta do it.

20 Minutes Later...

*Throw self on bed, naked, still draped in a towel, soaking wet*

I think I'm sick.


Phase Two:

That night...

*HACK HACK SNORT SNIFF SNIFF GAG HACK SNORT SNIFF*

Honey, honey...wake up, I think you need to blow your nose.  *SNOOOOOORT*

*PPhhhhhhhTTTT*

*HACK*

The next day...no time frame...time is suspended in a haze of pain and moaning...

Stream of conscience... 


I can't move.  My body hurts everywhere, I can't move.  I'm dying.  I have to move, my body hurts everywhere.  Maybe if I roll over...OWEEE, nevermind.  Maybe if I adjust the pillow...oh no, no don't move.  I can't move.  My body hurts everywhere, I can't move.  Kill me now.  Oh won't somebody please kill me now.  I can't open my mouth to beg for death.  Oh the agony.  Aaagggooonnyy!!!


Rinse and repeat.

Phase Three:

Later, at the $80 doctors appointment...

"Oh yes, yes, you have a sinus infection.  Probably something viral.  I hate you, so I'm going to give you a crappy antibiotic, but don't worry, I'm giving you a refill because I know one 10 day dose isn't going to be enough.  Flu?  Noooo, it's not the flu. 104 fever is totally normal for a virus. Just something viral.  Something for your cough that made you throw up today?  I don't think that's necessary.  It's just a virus. Still, take this second line antibiotic and don't call me in the morning."


Phase Four:

Five days into the seventh circle of Hades...

*Cough HACK HACK Cough*  Ugh, but I'm down to half a dose of ibuprofen, only three doses of Tylenol.  Still popping the Benadryl and antihistamines like they're crack, but I'm improving.

*HACK HACK HACK*

Phase Five:

Ten days and one full dose of antibiotics later...


*Sniff Sniff*  Bah!  Dang allergies...

And it begins again...

No comments:

You May Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...