Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Confessions of a Housewife

Crimes I swore I would never commit as a mother, but find myself increasingly doing:

  • Having cereal as a snack. I used to say that I wouldn't even allow cereal as breakfast! Ha!
  • Watching as I demand my children to clean up their toys. I used to help them, now I sit on the couch with a leather whip wearing a Burger King mask they're terrified of. Okay, not really the mask, but you get the picture.
  • Allowing late nights. Until recently 8:30 was the bedtime, no arguments. Bath first, story second, bed third. Now they're lucky if they get jammies on.
  • Mini-van fun talk. When Cohen was little, and Kembry just a squawking little baby, we used to practice our ABC's and 123's in English AND Spanish. He was the only 18 month old I knew that could count to twenty in two languages. Now, they're lucky if I acknowledge "Mommy! Mommy! Mooooooommmm!!"
  • Dinner. This is pathetic. I mean, we do have dinner most nights, but there are some nights when I could easily go without cooking. McDonalds sounds fine. Chicken nuggets, bring it on. In what little pathetic defense I can offer myself, I always get them the apples or a salad as an alternative to the French fries. I get myself the French fries. I have proof in my thighs and butt.
  • Sleeping when they're not. This is very recent and wholly blamed on mono. Nap time is almost non-existent in our house, though there are those special, amazing, miracle days when they actually tell ME they're tired. But in the meantime, I find myself napping while they play "nicely" in their bedroom. This arrangement seems to work for all of us.
  • And last but certainly not least: Saturday activities. Brett works Saturday's most of the year, so those were always kind of our special day. But now, increasing with frequency as Brett begins to stay home as well, we mostly just lounge around the house, poking each other and picking belly lint. I just can't bring myself to want to leave the house on these fabulous weekend days. I call it Satur-goraphobic-day.

But right now, as I type this, there is fresh bread baking in the oven, the sweet aroma wafting over my immaculate house as my children conjugate their Latin verbs and I sip homemade apple cider out of cute snowman mugs. **Hysterical laughter**

Have a lovely Wednesday…

Kelly Out

No comments:

You May Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...