Monday, August 24, 2009

There's no handbook for this stuff

I've heard many a mother comment, "There's no handbook for this stuff." Very, very, true. But I'm learning that while there's no general handbook for raising children, you can make unique handbooks for your own.

For example, after eating a cupcake (before dinner) my daughter said, "Mommy, my belly hurts."

I said the typical, generic, "responsible mother" response.

"It's because you ate a cupcake before dinner," (which is true in my case, but I don't have a gallbladder, so I don't count.)

But this didn't help. She only scowled. So I tried this approach:

"Are you hungry?"

She swiped at me and glowered (I love two year olds).

Then I knew. I knew because I've made a little note in my "Kembry Handbook". I knew like you know a good melon.

So I took her in my arms and hugged her and said, "I'm sorry honey."

"I love you mommy."

With Cohen, it would've gone like this:

"My tummy hurts."

"Here, eat."

"Okay."

I love boys.

Kelly Out

No comments:

You May Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...