Thursday, November 11, 2010

Gratitude Day 11: It's Veterans Day, Wave Your Flag


Occasionally on my lazy days I drag Kembry and the baby off to Mcy D's for a small fry and a few minutes in the play place.

And every time I've done this, sitting off to the side, amazingly whispering, are 7 WWII Veterans.

They wear their hats proudly.  Their shoulders bowed, their eyes milky and tired, they sit and quietly visit with each other.  They sip their coffee, a few smile at my kids, and then go back to their conversation.

They are there every day.

And every time I see them, I think, "I wish I had the guts so sit down and talk with them."

I'm so grateful for them.  I get teary eyed when I see them sitting there, their hats propped high on their heads.  I want to hug them, to kiss them, to cry with them.  I will never know what they did for our country.  What they did for our grandparents and great grandparents.  What they did for the millions and millions of innocent people who suffered oppression and murder.

I don't know what goes on behind the line.  I don't know about the terror and fear of death.  The loneliness of being away from my family, thousands and thousands of miles away.  The responsibility of keeping my country free.  The chance to help other's obtain that same freedom.

But I do know that I think of them, out there in the who-knows-where.  Risking their very lives to protect me, a nameless face somewhere 'back home'.  I think of them and I pray for them.

May God speed their goals, protect their lives, comfort their families and their lonely hearts.  And may they know how eternally grateful we all are.

Kelly Out

P.S. They better be gettin' their coffee for free today.

2 comments:

Lindsay said...

Amen!

Kimberly said...

We are a military and navy family and if you walked up to them, know that you'd be very well received. It's not often that people thank a vet on the off "remembrance" and "veteran" days. You'd really make their day!

You May Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...