Monday, June 02, 2008

Enjoy some music, why don't you?



Socieites Child by Janis Ian

My dad played this song for me when I was a really little girl. Music is very important to my dad, and my husband. Through this song he taught me a little about racism and the pain associated with it. Racism was a very real thing to my parents growing up, and it's so weird to think of that. It seems like such a distant thing to me. I remember him telling me how important it is to see everyone and judge everyone by their actions, not by the color of their skin. This song has always spoken to me. It has made me cry in the past, and still gives me goosebumps. Janis Ian created this song and performed it under much controversy. I'm grateful for Janis Ian and her...audacity? I hope you enjoy it too.

Some of my favorite parts of this song, if you can even begin to disect it...

"I could understand your tears and your shame..she called you boy instead of your name..."
"...when she wouldn't let you inside. When she turned and said 'But honey, he's not our kind.'"
"...preachers of equality why won't they just let us be?"

No comments:

You May Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...