Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Gratitude Day 3


Sometimes you have to be grateful for something so that you don't loathe it. It's like that patience thing. You gotta do it so you can get it, even if the process bites.


Today I'm grateful for Education.


(Stephanie, I absolutely love this comic!)

My hubby is a bit of a "late bloomer" when it comes to school. He's a yellow personality born under an air sign (you may need an astrological dictionary to understand what I'm saying) so he struggles with decisions. Well, he's made a decision, and he's finally, finally, back in school. Which makes me a single mother a few nights a week. Which is awesome! Ok, sort of. Ok, sometimes not so much. Ok, it flat out bites the dust on occasion. Regardless, I'm grateful that he's decided that education is the way to go. I'm grateful that we live in a society where it's as easy as it is to receive education.

I'm grateful that we have colleges all over the state to choose from. I know there are places in this world where kids have to travel to attend even basic primary school, and that breaks my heart. I can't wait for my kids to start school, and they can't wait either. Cohen is proud of his daddy, even though he probably doesn't know it. I pick him up each day, and he says, "Oh, Daddy's at school tonight, huh mommy?" And I say yes and he just laughs because he thinks it's the neatest thing in the world. I hope he feels that way in two years. We shall see.


I'm grateful for the education that I received (Go Murray!) though I'm not sure how I graduated with a 3.8 and skipped half of my senior year. They called me "The Invisible Woman" in journalism. I'm grateful for the short year and a half I had at college, because it was all about what I was interested in. I didn't have to deal with gym (sorry Mr. Martin) or Chemistry (my chemistry teacher was from the UK, and I could not understand a word he said). Instead I got to totally dive into the things I loved like math and English and anatomy (the book kind, don't be gross) and history and language. I got my first "F", which was humbling, and met my husband, which was just awesome.

I'm grateful I'm not a dolt, is what I'm saying. I'm near dolthood, but not all the way yet. And I'm especially grateful that last night, when we were talking about what the heck I would do with my time once the kids were in school that Brett said, "I always thought you'd go back to school." Let's just say he got a big fat kiss for that one!

But, like Stephanie, I'm grateful for tons of things I learned outside the classroom. You know, in the classroom of life. Oh man, that's lame. Anyway, here are some things I am SO grateful for. Feel free to laugh.

  • Cooking. I didn't learn a thing in home ech. I learned most of it on my own, unfortunately for my family.

  • Sewing. This is a continual learning activity for me. But I'm grateful I've had the opportunity to finally learn how to create something from nothing.

  • Cleaning. This is seriously a learned ability for me. Something that has taken years to learn and still more years to come to perfect.

  • Mothering. I fell into this the greatest way possible, and I absolutely love being a mother. The things I've learned since Cohen was born could equal all I've learned in my entire life leading up to him.

  • Gospel knowledge. Ok, so granted some of this was learned in a classroom, but most of it I learn in my daily life. I get lessons every day. Lessons in patience, lessons in kindness and forgivness, lessons in love. Every moment of every day I'm learning something new, and I am so grateful for that.

1 comment:

Carl and Steph said...

Glad to have inspired you. It's nice to read these blogs. Thanks for doing them!

You May Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...