Friday, September 12, 2008

Gratitude Day 8

I was reading Wu's obit for the ten thousandth time and a swell of gratitude rose up inside of me. Let me esplain...

What I'm saying is I was raised Catholic. Not CATHOLIC CATHOLIC, like, "Let's go to Catholic church today honey 'cause we're Catholic." Rather, when I went to funeral it was to mourn, and when I went to a baptism it was...well...to mourn. "Poor kid, he's gonna die in sin anyway."

Life is different when faith is involved. Death is different. And I'm not sure if it has anything to do with the fact that we knew Wu was dying. That we knew she was in pain and that it was "only a matter of time." Personally, I think it does help. It helps you prepare for the blow. It helps you for that 3 am call. It wasn't "Oh my goodness, whose calling at 3 in the morning?!" It was, "Brett honey, wake up. She's gone." And I didn't even have to answer the phone to know who was on the other end.

But the point of ALL OF THIS rambling is that I am grateful to know the truth about life and death. I'm grateful to know that men (and hot hot women like myself) were sent here to have joy. And that after that, we go to Heaven, where there is more joy. Where I know Wu is right now, with her mom and dad and nephews who didn't need the world to prove them sinless and wonderful. I know she's there, and I'm grateful to know that.

Don't get me wrong. I've broken down and balled. Curled myself up with the plunger I know so well next to my stinky toilet. But what a comfort to know that with all of that pain those who are left behind get to experience, Wu, who was in the most pain of all, is at peace.

No comments:

You May Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...